Logo

WD 40 Red Straw lost into Sparkplug Hole

cabo_blanco

I was spraying WD 40 into the cilynder of my Evinrude 40HP outboard and the strw flew into the hole of the parkplug, never to be seen again.

Should I just ignore it and go ahead and start the engine? Will it melt and go out the exaust or will it block any important places? Should I take apart the engine to look for it?

Attachments

• WD 40.jpg
    WD 40.jpg
    22 KB · Views: 68
WD40 has a cuting base of sorts. Not a good idea to be spraying that inside your engine.

I'd use one of the small flexible inspection lights to look into the cylinder and use a flexible finger grab mechanics tool to grab that red straw if possible. The alternative is to remove the cylinder head to retrive it.

WD40 has a cuting base of sorts. Not a good idea to be spraying that inside your engine.

I'd use one of the small flexible inspection lights to look into the cylinder and use a flexible finger grab mechanics tool to grab that red straw if possible. The alternative is to remove the cylinder head to retrive it.

So it is an absolute NO to start engine and ignore the straw presence? Is it possible, since I can no longer see it, that it went through an exaust hole in the cylinder´s wall?
What if I remove the cylinder head and still don´t find it?

If you think it went into the exhaust port, it will simply blow out thru the prop when started. Frankly, if it were mine, I'd crank it up.

I agree with Joe, just start it up and go from there. That little piece of plastic will melt instantly, if it hasn't already gone out the exhaust port. and don't use wd-40 in the cyls any more. There are lot better things out there that do much more good.

Last edited:
Back