Logo

1972 85hp johnson

corytires

I have a 1972 85hp johnson outboard. A quick over view I bought from old lady boat had been in every spring and fall for tuneups, after her husband died she tarped it and parked it. It sat for about 5 years before I got it. Motor will start off and on I have had it running probaly 15 to 20 times but it only runs for a short period. I recently got it to start ran for about 10 minutes and ran great idled good I put it in gear forward and reverse reved up slightly after it dies though it will not restart, it will just crank and crank. It does this every time crank and crank then start then crank and crank it is just like someone shuts off the spark I cannot figure it out. How can it run so good then nothing. Ther are 3 electrical components on rear of engine almost positive that the big black one is a CDI box but then there is a small circle shaped one with three wires coming out of it and another rectangle shaped one also with three wires coming out of it but I don't know what they are called could one or all of these be my problem or am I miss leading myself. Please help ready to give up.

Sounds more like you have a 1985 not a 1975 motor.

I would look to the fuel system 1st. Maybe a spray bottle with some 50/50 oil mix gas to prime or keep it running.
A carb clean-up/rebuild is a step in the right direction for a motor that has been storred

Back