Logo

1999 Johnson 115HP Run Problem

Wynnb944s2

I just got my HydraSport with a Johnson 115 HP out to put in the water after being stored for the winter. It will not run unless you hold the electric choke on and then it barely runs. Can this be the problems with the ethanol in the gas. Is there any way to clean the carbs without taking them off the engine. Any thought of what to do would be appreciated.

The high sped jets are located in the bottom center portion of the float chambers. You might try cleaning the high speed jets with a piece of single strand steel wire.

Fuel must flow thru those jets before gaining passage to any other fuel passageway. Worth a try...... sounds like they're clogged.

Last edited:
I retired in 1991 so I'm really not familiar with the design of those carbs. Unlikely that you'll need to remove them though. If the carbs are still of the design whereas there is a screw plug on each side of the float chamber, the high speed jet would be in back of those screws plugs near the center of the carb.

If the design has changed, hopefully someone will jump in here with better advice.

Back