Logo

1966 9.5hp mq-12 carb rebuild ?

jzona

Greetings, just found this site and ordered some parts to rebuild my carb

I had not run this outboard for 2 yrs and found out that pulling the gas line off and letting the engine stall and run out of gas is not a cure all for an easy start next time. Troubleshooting I found I need to replace the fuel pump first since pulling the starter rope with the gas line disconnected from the carb produced no gas even with cleaning the fuel pump screen, but pumping the gas bulb produced gas out of the outlet of the pump.. Second, by using the pumper bulb hooked directly to the carb I will still not get gas into the carb, stuck float i think?... Anyway ordered a new fuel pump and carb kit here. Have the Seloc manual

Question; while awaiting kit and the carb still attached to engine i was trying to remove the low speed jet by removing the c-clip which released the spring holding the needle rod in the carb body but don't seem to be able to pull the needle rod out of the body, am I missing something, doesn't the spring tension just hold the needle rod seat/seal in and pulling on the rod should release it from the body or is it retained somehow inside the carb and it will be apparent when i dis-assemble the carb for rebuilding the stuck float and such?? any and all help is appreciated...thanks

Last edited:
Back