Logo

Tohatsu 3.5 4-stroke gas tank failure

mkaynor

Hello,

Does anyone know if there's baan a factory recall on the 3.5 Tohatsu fuel tank? Mine recently developed two cracks, one right in the middle of the bottom of the tank at a compound angle, and one right near the rear screw hole. Barring a recall, can anyone tell me how to patch the tank? I'm going to give JB Weld a shot, but if that doesn't work, I'm kind of out of luck - I'm on a sailboat currently in Guatemala w/ no parts source around.

Mark Kaynor

No recall that I know of for tanks on the MFS3.5 series.

There is a 3-yr warranty... though getting a shipment to your YIT may require some coordination.

No glue job will be permanent, but JB weld may get you by for a little while. You may also be able to use West System G-Flex. In either case, you will want to roughen the bond area, and oxidize the roughened area by passing a flame (from a propane torch) over it. Risky stuff on a gas tank, and you should be 100% sure all fumes have been washed out before trying that.

There are a number of parts sources in Central/South America, but none listed in Guatemala. See http://www.tohatsu.co.jp/en/boat/sales/index.html for a list of locations.

Keep in mind that the Mercury 3.5hp is the same as the Tohatsu 3.5hp (both built by Tohatsu). So if there's a local Mercury parts source in Guatemala, you can get parts from them and they will be interchangeable with your Tahatsu

The fist year of production they had a problem with the tanks cracking due to impact damage during shipping. That was solved when they went to a smaller shipping box with foam that actually fit the engine. No problems since than at all.

Can anyone tell me how much a new gas tank costs? I also need price on a new carburetor float bowl w/ drain screw. The current drain screw is frozen and the slot in the head is stripped.

Thanks,

Mark Kaynor

Assuming you have an MFS3.5A.
3AB703101M FUEL TANK, F2.5A/3.5A $48.23
3H6032210M FLOAT CHAMBER $22.90
3H6032220M O-RING, FLOAT CHAMBER $2.75

Back