Logo

New owner - old motor

Jean

I just bought a 4 hp Johnson Seahorse engine. The seller was changing the grease in the lower unit when we arrived. He finished the job and put the engine on a stand, and ran it with th prop in a bucket of water.

It started easily, shifted fine, seemed responsive to speed control. So we took it home.

It lay on its side in the car on the way home, no problems. Home, upright, on a stand, grease ran out of a hole just above the bulge of the prop unit, on the side opposite the two grease fill holes.

Looking at several sites with drawings, I can't see a similar hole. Should we be looking for a plug or a screw of some sort to shut off this hole? Is it a grease fill overflow of some sort? I think we need to keep water from getting in and certainly don't want grease leaking out.

We sail, we paddle, but we know little about outboards. Help! Please

Jean

find out if the hole is threaded if it is might be missing plug, but if he ran it for you and no major oil was in water you should be ok but i would check it in a bucket too the hole you are refering to could be exuast which if it is you may be getting alittle oil from your premix

Back