Logo

My motor is overheating please help!! 1958 3hp

Last year I bought a 1958 evinrude lightwin 3hp motor that ran great for a while. However last summer I was out one day and was running the motor and it suddenly stopped. I tried to restart it but it was seized up. I then dissasembled the lower unit and cleaned it out, there was some buildup of grease/gunk in the area that the water goes in but not enough to completely block the flow but I cleaned it all out anyway.That was the last time I used it and outside of winterizing it, it has been in my garage ever since. I thought at first maybe I forgot to put enough oil in or something of that nature so today I took it out in a barrell and started it. I was extra careful with my oil/gas mixture. It started on the second pull and sounded healthy but then I checked the area on the lower unit where there should be a mist of water shooting out that cools the outboard and there was only air coming out, no water. My question is what could be causing this??? Do I need any new part(s)??? or do I just need to clean out again??? Thanks for any help in advance:)

Re: My motor is overheating please help!!

Okay I took apart the lower unit and looked at the impeller, but it seems fine, what indicates a broken/bad impeller that I should look for?

When in doubt, replace the water pump assembly.

Make sure that the engine is the proper shaft length for whatever boat you're running so as to have the water pump at the proper depth.

Most impeller's sold today have a plastic hub that will spin on the key if it was ever used in a cold environment.
The impeller needs to be flexible, as posted, if in doubt replace it.

Back