Logo

1971 Johnson 50 hp clicking before going in reverse

dh419

I have a 71 Johnson 50 hp model 50ESL71S that was working fine, it goes into forward just fine, but when I go into reverse I get a clicking sound before it goes into reverse, clicking is not a good description, but I don't know of a better way to describe it. After the sound, it will back up, but I am not sure it is as strong as it use to be. This started last year and may be worse this year. I have only had the boat for about 2 1/2 years, and I changed the lower unit oil at the first of the season for the last for the last 2 years. The first year, there were some oil in the boat when I got it, so I just used it, this year, I went to Walmart and picked up a bottle, could I have used the wrong oil, or is there something I can check. The switch went out in the control just after I got the boat, and I wired in a DPDT switch in and it worked great for the rest of that year and most of the next.

Re: 71 Johnson 50 hp clicking before going in reverse

To my knowledge, Wal*Mart had only the gearlube for the mechanical shift lower units. This lube would be entitled "HiVis 80/90w".

If the above is what you filled your lower unit with, drain it out and refill with a outboard gearcase lubricant that is called "Premium Blend" and is also known as "Type C". To my knowledge this is available only at your Evinrude or Johnson dealership.

This "Premium Blend/Type C" gearlube must be used on all electric shift, hydro electric shift (yours), and any "Shift Assist" model gearcases.

However, If this specialized gearlube is what you are already using, that brings into play the fact that the lobes on the shifter dog and reverse gear are rounding off which will nesessitate repairing the lower unit.

The oil I used the first time, what was in the boat, when I got it is LubriMatic High viscosity lower unit gear lube, for all modern outboard and stern drives SAE80W90. What I got at Walmart is Pennzoil Marine high viscosity lower unit gear lube for outboard and stern drives SAE 80W-90.

Wrong gearlube! The oil pump within your lower unit cannot handle that lube. Do as suggested via my previous reply.

You're just lucky that the first oil you had (lubriMatic) worked somewhat.

I know this is an old thread, but I still have the same problem with the motor clicking when put in reverse. The boat has set for a few years, and when I take it out, I try my hardest to not have to use reverse, but sometimes it cannot be avoided. Just hoping some one knows what part need replacing when this is happening, yes I may have cause the damage when I put in the wrong oil in it, but what did I damage.

Back