Logo

High speed jet or something else? 1972 25hp

I just got this 1972 25hp evinrude and put it in the water the other day. It idles great but when in forward it has no power...at all it just squatts on itself. An older marine motor head seems to think it sounds like the high speed jet in the carb. also he seems to think my plugs are wrong cause it is running rich as hell and the carb is leaned all the way out. Could it be the carb or does it sound like lower unit issues? YOu would think it would be getting to propper rpm if prop was spinning or lower unit was fouled right? HELP! -thanks

Last edited:
Re: High speed jet or something else?

Do a compression check make sure there is no blowby from the rings causing the plugs to get wet.

Do a compression check as suggested. It'll run on 60, it'll run better at 80, 100 would be good, 120 probably the gauge reading wrongly. Should get the same on both cyls within 10%.

Check for good sparks on both cyls. Use a spark tester if possible.
Bad sparks: need to investigate the ignition system. Points , coils, condensers, plug leads.

Good sparks check clean reset but better replace plugs with correct type. current recommendation J4C, gapped at 0.030". (J6C if tending to foul perhaps.)

Dont understand what you say about "leaned right out" and "running rich as hell."

The carb has only one adjustment, the idle mixture screw.

Joe Reeves' instructions for adjusting are

(Carburetor Adjustment - Single S/S Adjustable Needle Valve)
(J. Reeves)

Initial setting is: Slow speed = seat gently, then open 1-1/2 turns.

Start engine and set the rpms to where it just stays running. In segments of 1/8 turns, start to turn the S/S needle valve in. Wait a few seconds for the engine to respond. As you turn the valve in, the rpms will increase. Lower the rpms again to where the engine will just stay running.

Eventually you'll hit the point where the engine wants to die out or it will spit back (sounds like a mild backfire). At that point, back out the valve 1/4 turn. Within that 1/4 turn, you'll find the smoothest slow speed setting.

Note: As a final double check setting of the slow speed valve(s), if the engine has more than one carburetor, do not attempt to gradually adjust all of the valves/carburetors at the same time. Do one at a time until you hit the above response (die out or spit back), then go on to the next valve/carburetor. It may be necessary to back out "all" of the slow speed adjustable needle valves 1/8 turn before doing this final adjustment due to the fact that one of the valves might be initially set ever so slightly lean.

When you have finished the above adjustment, you will have no reason to move them again unless the carburetor fouls/gums up from sitting, in which case you would be required to remove, clean, and rebuild the carburetor anyway.

If you cannot get it adjusted following this then the carb probably needs an overhaul. If it really is running rich then focus your attention on the float and the needle valve because it might be flooding.

Dont know what you mean by lower unit fouled.

Check that the prop rotates freely when not in gear.

Check your gear oil. It should be "clear and bright" and up to the level of the level screw. The drain and level screw are the two broad flat slotted head screws on the side of the gearcase assembly. DO NOT undo the smaller screw near the lower one.

If the oil is milky it indicates water ingress which must be investigated and the cause rectified.

A friend had a similar problem. As soon as he hit the throttle it would bog right down.
He took it into a local repair shop and after about 3 months he called and told them that he is coming in to get his motor. Well they then run it in their test tank and called and said it was a power head problem. After hearing the price of repair he took the motor home (40hp). I took it for a spin and found that the choke plate spring was broken, every time the throttle was opened up the air flow would pull the chokes closed. I gave the spring a temporary fix with my leatherman tool and ordered the spring. Well that spring, about $3.00 back then is still hanging on a nail in my basement and that was 15 years ago if not more and the temporary fix is still working:cool:.
I want the choke plates for my 70 Evinrude instead of the primer I have if he ever retires that motor!

Thanks for all the help. What i meant by leaned out all the way but still running rich as hell is.........i have the s/s valve all the way shut and it is still really running rich. I have taken the carb off and i have it soaking in gunk carb cleaner soak can hoping that it will free up anything possibly stuck in the jets. I also plan on getting the champion j4c plugs i actually think it has L77H6 or something like that in it now. I will also check the compression tomorrow when i can actually get to being able to work on it. thanks again. oh and the lower unit thing ....just excuse me ....i get retarded sometimes. i meant the lower unit might be in needed of replacement or rebuild.

I just got this 1972 25hp evinrude and put it in the water the other day. It idles great but when in forward it has no power...at all it just squatts on itself. An older marine motor head seems to think it sounds like the high speed jet in the carb. also he seems to think my plugs are wrong cause it is running rich as hell and the carb is leaned all the way out. Could it be the carb or does it sound like lower unit issues? YOu would think it would be getting to propper rpm if prop was spinning or lower unit was fouled right? HELP! -thanks
10 to 1 I'll bet you it is the head gasket which is about $28 or $30 and change that and it should solve your problem

Back