Logo

1955 5 1/2 hp seal removal

Jim Schmidt

I need to remove the old seal from the propeller shaft bearing. How do I go about getting this out? Do I need a special tool? I had water in the lower unit and have ordered gaskets, o ring and a seal. This is all I lack getting this baby back in the water.
thanks, Jim

You can take the head bearing to a outboard mechanic and get it out in a jiffy. I use a homemade slide hammer with a small diameter sheet metal screw. Center punch three or four spots spaced equally around the seal and drill holes for the puller and give it a few raps in each hole, bob's your uncle.

Sounds like a good system. Have you ever tried to punch it out from the back? We don't have a local mechanic here so I need to think about a puller.
thanks, Jim

You can take the prop shaft seal out using an open end wrench. Wrench should be big enough to fit under the lip on one side and touch the seal on the other side. Heat the area a little to loosen the old sealant then work the wrench around from the top. Works on the drive shaft seal also. They can be driven out from the back but the rubber makes it hard to catch the lip.

Thanks guys, I ought to be able to get the thing out. I am going to wait until I have the replacement on hand just to be sure it's the right part before I destroy the one I have. This forum is a great source of help.

Most of the time when I change a prop shaft seal it's because of wayward fishing line cutting the seal. Pulling it in place seems easier than tearing the gearcase apart. Pull the prop off and it's right there. Half hour - fortyfive minutes.

Well, I got the darned thing out but had to take it out in pieces. It was the original seal and was really in there tight. Pulling and prying with a puller only resulted in bending up the lips on the seal facing. I used a brass drift to punch out from the back(I removed the rubber seal by tearing it apart first) - that did not budge it at all. I did try heating the bearing housing slightly and that did not help. I finally got my handy dremmel tool out and very carefully cut through the brass seal housing and it came out. This was hard to do without damaging the rest of the seal body but I think I am ok. This was one of the most stubborn seals that I have ever attempted to remove.
Hope this might help someone with the same problem.
Thanks guys.

Back