Logo

My Johnson V61988 150 hp motor is having trouble, Can anyone help????

Paulrd277

Hello!
I'm not sure what year my Johnson is, but I think it's around an 88'. My friend passed away and left me his boat. It's been great for the past couple years. I take my son out on the ocean with it many times during the summer to do some striper fishing but this year it's having a bit of trouble. I planned to go out this memorial weekend but the plans have been canceled. I can't seem to find out what's wrong with the engine! It seems when I go full throttle, it bogs down and almost shuts off. I don't think it's getting enough gas to the engine. I feel like I've tried everything! I took out all the old gas and put in new gas with a bit of that blue enzyme stuff, I got some carburetor cleaner and sprayed it in the carbs when the engine was running to try and clean them out a bit. Bought some new oil for it last year. Changed the fuel filter. Cant see any gas leaking out anywhere. The only thing I haven't done was changed the plugs. I did change them last year with the plug wires but it still won't run the same. I don't know if it's having cylinder problems or what. All the plugs are hot?

The only way it will go full throttle is if I keep pushing the fuel pump to give it gas.

Please if anyone knows of anything else I can do, it would be greatly appreciated. Anything would help!

Re: My Johnson V6 150 hp motor is having trouble, Can anyone help????

Check for a plate on the port transom bracket. There will be a model number there, what is that number?

Your description of your problem indicates that the carburetors are fouled and need cleaning and rebuilding.

Check for a plate on the port transom bracket. There will be a model number there, what is that number?

Your description of your problem indicates that the carburetors are fouled and need cleaning and rebuilding.

Im not sure what or where the transom bracket is. How would I go about cleaning the carburetors? I dont think I can afford to rebuild them.

i had same problem with my 1988 150, rebuilt carbs and drained old gas from tank.works great.

Transom bracket(s) are the brackets that attach/bolt the engine to the boat.

Back