Logo

79 Johnson 35 still poppin out of gear

jeffm

Hey everyone, just put a new clutch dog and forward gear in my 35 hp 1979 Johnson OB. It ran great twice, but now is popping out of gear again. It has either forward or reverse (depending on my manual adjustment of the knurled nut), is it possible my shift cable is stretched?

I have adjusted by putting the shift lever in reverse, making sure the detent is proper, and went from there. there seems to be 1/4" of play in the cable, could this be enough to allow the gear to slip out while underway?

Thanks, as always,
jeff

The former owner of my boat paid $1,200 to rebuild the LU on the port engine. I bought it with the same issues. Bad shift cable. Disconnect your shift cable at engine. Shift it manually and see if it stays in gear.

Martino, I tried your idea and the motor did stay in gear both forwrd and reverse, GOOD NEWS! I then removed the linkage from the shift rod, placed it in forward gear, along with the shift lever, and then replaced the linkage. It ran great for 45 minutes this morning, not popping. I believe I had the lower unit in reverse when I replaced the lower unit. I will keep you posted.

Thanks again!

Back