Logo

1993 200 hp lower unit+

eds

My son was on the water the other day when the motor reved up , but the boat came down from plane. When he came home we are able to spin the prop by hand in either direction with the shift engaged in either forward or reverse. Over lunch yesterday I removed the lower unit drain plug to check for metal and it was under alot of pressure, would this be normal? The lower unit is under warrenty and I plan to drop it over the weekend and ship it back to manuf, but am curious to what might be the problem.

Agreed...... to prove, in neutral, spin prop and make a mental note of the resistance. Shift into gear.... if there is a slight increase in resistance, suspect a broken driveshaft, usually just below the water pump area.

is this a common occurance and is it a expensive repair. Lower unit is still under warrenty from 12/08 (previous owner). I would imagine this drive shaft would not be covered under this warrenty. What would cause a broken drive shaft, we have had the boat since the first of the year and know we have not abused it

Back