Logo

2000 Johnson 50 hp/NEED EXPERT HELP!

JMarine

2000 Johnson 50 hp

I bought this motor about 1 1/2 years ago. Shortly after I bought it I realized sometimes on a cold start it would take a while to turn over, even after priming. Also noticed that while running seemed to have "lose of fuel" and would have to reach back and pump the bulb to keep constant fuel flow.

Changed fuel filter, spark plugs, lines and fittings. Problem persists. Put it in the garage for about 8 months and didn't winterize it like a moron.

About a month ago, Rebuilt the carbs with full kits from brp, (I didn't personally do it, my friends hill billy buddy did it in about 45 min and didn't seam to meticulous)

Ran great for about 2 or 3 weeks and then one day, like a bad habit, it started doing the same thing (starving for fuel) I have to reach back and steady pump the bulb to keep it at full throttle.

Again, I changed spark plugs, sprayed quicksilver carb cleaner in carbs and bogged out engine, cleaned plugs, and problem persists.

I'm pretty frustrated with this situation, I keep dumping $$ into the boat, and am realizing what B O A T really stands for. Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

(still haven't tried an different gas tank, not sure if the tank it self has any leaks)

Sounds like you have a bad VRO or fuel pump depending on the model#. When you pump the primer bulb you're acting as a fuel pump. Or one heck of a big air leak in the fuel line some where.

Ok, Thank you very much for the input. I doubt its my fuel line because I just replaced it not to long ago. Will I be needing a whole new pump if thats the problem or will I just need to rebuild the one I have with a kit.

Thanks again for all the help!

Back