Logo

1973 18hp evinrude slips outta gear

lucky99

I have a 1973 18 hp. Evinrude that jumps outta gear. It started to happen just sporadically but the last time out it did this continually.
It would also die out like it wasn't getting enough gas and would drain the squeeze bulb.
I believe the squeeze bulb problem is a simple fix , so I'll change out the tank and hoses.I'm hoping these issues aren't related
I've been told to adjust the linkage on the shifter , but I'm not sure how to do this. Any Ideas....?
Is this issue an adjustment issue on the linkage or is this within the lower unit.
Want to fish soon, as I 've been off recovering from a recent heart attack.
Feeling great again at 54 yrs old....

Re: 18hp evinrude slips outta gear

There is a oblong plate on the side of the long exhaust housing that is retained by two screws. Remove it. Now, with a screwdriver or some object/tool of your choosing, lock onto the brass shift connector that you'll see inside that housing.

With the shift connector being prevented from moving, see if you can move the shift lever one way or the other. If play exists without having the connector or upper shift rod move, the powerhead usually needs to be removed to correct that problem (the rod shouldn't be able to move within the connector).

If no play exists and the engine has performed normally in the past, the problem is usually due to improper shifting.... see the following explanation.

(Jumping Out Of Gear - Manual Type)
(J. Reeves)

This pertains to lower units on all OMC manual shift outboard engines, or any OMC engine with lower units defined as a Shift Assist or a Hydro Electric Shift unit which incorporates a "Shifter Clutch Dog".

Within the lower unit, splined to the prop shaft is what is most often referred to as a clutch dog, hereafter simply called dog. The dog has at least two lobes protruding from it on both ends, facing both forward and reverse gear. The forward and reverse gears also have lobes built into them near their center area. When the engine is running, in neutral, the gears are spinning constantly via the driveshaft being connected directly to the powerhead crankshaft, but the propeller does not turn due to the fact that the dog is centered between the two gears, and the dog lobes are not touching either of the gear lobes.

When the unit is put into either gear, shift linkages force the dog (and its lobes of course) to engage the lobes of the gear. The lobes of the spinning gear grab the lobes of the dog, and since the dog is splined to the prop shaft, the propeller turns.
The lobes of the dog and gears are precisely machined, most with right angled edges that could be installed in either direction, and some with angles slightly varied that must be installed in one direction only (one end only must face the propeller). Dogs that can be installed in one direction only, if reversed, even if the dog and both gears were new.... would jump out of gear almost immediately. Keep in mind that the lobes are precisely machined with sharp angles!

Due to improper adjustment or worn shift linkages, but usually due to improper slow shifting, those precisely machined sharp edges of the lobes become slightly rounded. Now, with those lobes rounded, as the rpms increase, the pressure of the gear lobes upon the dog lobes increases to a point whereas they are forced apart (jumping out of gear), and due (usually) to the shift cable keeping tension on the engines shift linkages..... the unit is forced back into gear giving one the sensation that the engine has hit something, and the cycle continues.

Some boaters with manual shift engines have the mistaken belief that shifting slowly is taking it easy on all of the shifting components..... Wrong! Shifting slowly allows those precisely machined sharp edges of the dog and gears to click, clank, bang, slam against each other many times before they are finally forced into alignment with each other..... and this is what rounds those edges off! The proper way to shift is to snap the unit into gear as quickly as possible.

Thousands of parts in my remaining stock. Not able to list them all. Let me know what you need and I'll look it up for you. Visit my eBay store at:

http://stores.ebay.com/Evinrude-Johnson-Outboard-Parts-etc?refid=store

I have a couple of those old motors around and had to retire them because of fuel concumption. I could not go fishing or duck hunting 2 days in a row on a tank of fuel, today i can fish almost all summer on one tank;),
I have seen problems when the shift lever is cracked and even though it detents into gear up inside the engine cowling the clutches are not fully engauged in the lower unit. If it is jumping out I would bet the clutches are worn and need replacing. i have built them up with weld and filled them into shape but there are still parts avalible. I can put a lower unit up on e-bay if you are interested.
E-mail me, [email protected]

joereeves,
Thanks for the information.I'm hoping to get into my motor soon and do the inspect.
I'll post the final results.
Thanks to all who have shared ...
Lucky99

Back