Logo

Volvo 2003T Dripping hose from nowhere

gyoutz

There is a 1/4 inch hose that constantly drips water approx. one drip in five seconds, into the bilge (actually on to an engine mount that is beginning to rust) when the engine is running. The hose is too short to have been connected to anything on the engine. Does anyone know if this is normal and where the water comes from?
If this is normal, I am considering splicing on an extra length of hose to divert it from the engine mount area and more directly to the bilge.

sounds like the anit syphon valve, i m guessing this engine is in a yacht, if so you can some times strip them and clean up the valve and cure the fault if not replace it and also put a longer pipe from it

Thanks for the reply.
It sounds reasonable. Yes, it is a "yacht", 39 foot sailboat with a fresh water coooled engine.
I will trace the line to its origin and proceed from there.
Thanks again.

Those Volvo antisyphon valves do tend to leak a bit. Possible to overhaul them but a cure is not guaranteed.

An alternative make may solve the problem. Some are available that do not have the valve in them but pee gently overboard or into a cockpit drain all the time. They have the advantage that there is no valve to become blocked or stuck and that you can see them peeing so you know they are not blocked.

Some people simply collect the water that leaks in a bottle.

Dont extend the pipe down into the bilge though, it could defeat the object and/or cause a continous flow into the bilge even when the engine is not running

Back