Logo

60hp Yamaha low 2 strok oil

Rob Williams

Hi all i am new to MarineEngine .com
I have a question, My 60 hp 2 strok,3 cyclnder outboard ran very low on 2 strok oil the motor would not run mutch higher than an idle, I ideld the motor for about 1 hour to get back to the boat ramp, when got home i toped up the oil tank & the motor seemed to run all right agan,
My question is would i have done any damage to the motor.

It has a float switch in the oil tank which sets the ECU into limp mode max 2000 rpm, tank not empty when this happens just very low so u should be ok!

The motor did just as it was designed to do. to get you home but not to kill itself doing it. motor should be fine. Do a compression check and that will tell you if you did damage or not.

:)Thank you for your response ,once i find out what the compression shoud be i will give it a go Thank you verry mutch .
The motor did just as it was designed to do. to get you home but not to kill itself doing it. motor should be fine. Do a compression check and that will tell you if you did damage or not.

gotta keep an eye on the oil tank. i always keep a little bottle in the boat just to make sure if anything goes wrong i got some if i need it. doesnt hurt to have a little on board!

Back