Logo

Fuel Pump Problem

salemsled

I have a 2000 Thunderjet Alexis Classic that has a Redline marine engine. The engine is a Ford 5.8L H.O. MFI Using EEC-IV ignition with high and low pressure fuel pumps.

I have been experiencing the following problem with the fuel pump circuit. The 20amp circuit breaker trips when I go to start engine. This breaker does not trip every time I go to start, but at least 75% of the start-up attempts. Circuit breaker trips mostly on initial startup and after running for a while(1 hour or more) and shutting the engine off and then trying to restart.

I have been through the wiring harness double checking for ground and wiring problems(none found). I have also cleaned and double checked Ignition circuit and replaced relays and all appear and test good. Batteries are fully charged.

My concern is that I have an electric fuel pump /pumps that may be on the verge of complete failure due to ethanol related fuel problems. (water in fuel). The fuel system does have a fuel water separator that I change every year but can this e-fuel be such a problem that more frequent service is required.

My hope is that you guys on this forum with more engine experience than I can help answer the following question,
Can this water intrusion cause damage to a fuel pump that would require more amps to operate pump thus tripping the 20 amp circuit. (Intermittent failure):confused:
I have connected code reader to engine and received code 96 in ECA memory. Fuel pump circuit open-BAT-to-relay

Is my theory just completely wacked or am I on the right track. I want to know if my next step is to replace the fuel pumps.
Thanks in advance for any help

Last edited:
try using the amp meter and see what the pump is drawing. should have a max spec current draw from the MFG.

I doubt that the ethanol effects the pump directly; maybe indiirectly. the thought is the ethanol "washes" the inside of the tank and loosens the crud. If your water seperator filter is between the tank and the pump, it should have caught most of the crude.

Sometimes circuit breakers fail, too. especially if they aren't MIL-SPEC types. if the contacts corrode, the resistance will increase. If they are of the heat sensing type, they will open prematurely when the contacts are crusty. Do a voltage drop test on it with a few amps running thru it to see.

Makomark,

Checked wiring and relay again. everything looks and tests good.

Since the only components downstream of the fuel pump relay are the fuel pumps I chose to swap them out.
Result:
Engine Started on first attempt. Checked for fuel leaks - none.

Ran Boat for 2 hours up river and then back. Engine started each and every time after shutting down.

Thanks again for the help.

Back