Logo

Fuel pump diaphram rupture vent

Fairliner62

Engines are 350 chevys (marine) with mechanical fuel pumps (new). I am considering routing the vent off the bowl of the fuel pumps (the hose that would keep fuel out of the bilge in case the diaphram ruptured) to a vacuum port on the intake manifold. Has anyone seen this kind of routing before?

I contacted the manufacturer of the pumps to see if they thought seeing manifold vacuum would effect the operation of the pump, and they said they thought it wouldn't, but hesitated to say for sure.

I can't see why it would be much different than having it routed into the bottom of the carb. The only difference I can imagine is that if the diaphram did rupture the fuel would not be shared with all 8 cylinders, but in any case the engine will probably flood out anyway.

Any disagreements?

That's not a vent on the pump but more of an "exit port". Ideally, it connects to a 'safe' place when the fuel can go if the diaphragm ruptures. The pumps operation shouldn't be impacted by applying vacuum to the port; that said there are other issues.

I'd expect the diaphragm wasn't designed for the additional pressure difference; using your method could shorten its life. It would also flatten out the tygon tube used to apply the vacuum. This would defeat the purpose of the tube - to enable you to see the fuel - when it took a set from the vacuum.

The last item - if that was a 'preferred' spot, why hasn't any OEM ever used it? Those 'extra' fittings are free so they must have a good reason for adding them.

Back