Logo

2008 150 hp sporadic overheat alarm, very transient

urbanrenewal

I just replaced the impellers on my 2 ’08 150 Hondas (400 hr service, all salt water use, flushed every trip). Both old impellors looked fine with no missing chunks. On the first and second trip out after the change, during the “hole shot” the port engine overheat alarm went off and the engine reduced speed. I shut the engine off, immediately restarted it and it ran fine the rest of the trip. The same thing happened one other time but this time coming off plane. Shut off, restart and its fine. This has happened oly 3 times since the service.

I was told by my dealer it may be a defective thermostat. Since they have not been changed it would probably be a good idea to change them regardless. There was a post a few ago about changing out the 2 thermostats on this engine. I don’t have a manual but could someone post the details or a photo of the process?

On the other hand, my logic says it’s more likely to be a signaling or sensor problem than a thermostat malfunction. Any thoughts?

Thanks, Tom

Last edited:
Re: 150 sporadic overheat alarm, very transient

Hi, just a thought , are you sure that you are not cavitating and that the water is not briefly being pulled away from the inlet at the bottom of the leg. This would probably cause a very quick but brief overheat.

Back