Logo

TAMD 40B Questions

jon_allen

Regular Contributor
Hi All,

I'm a frequent contributor to the Volvo Gas and Crusader forums. I've also gotten a lot of help from there. I need help with a TAMD40B regarding what to look for during a pre purchase/sea trial inspection. I'm not a novice but I don't have a lot of V/P diesel experience. A compression ck. and oil sample will NOT be performed. I just would like some info on common issues that may raise concerns. Also where can I download a service manual for this particular motor?

Thanks,
Jon C. Allen

Parts are easy to come by, however they can be expensive. Engines are known to smoke a good bit at first. I have not been running mine as of yet, so maybe someone else can shed more light on the subject.:rolleyes:

Hi there,
Ask the owner to have the engine totally cold for your visit. Then glow for 20 seconds, and it should start easily. It may smoke a little just after start, but that is normal. Leave it to idle for a while until you prepare for the next step. Increase RPM up to approx 3000 for 15-20 minutes, and then the readings on the engine intruments should be as follws: Voltmeter approx 14,2 volts, temperature 80 degrees C, oil pressure approx 4 kilos upwards. The drop down to idle again, and after a hort while push throttle at full speed while you read the turbo pressure meter during the whole RPM increase. It should reach 0,9 kilos uppwards. Then leave the engine to run at full RPM, which is 3600, while you watch the temperature closely. It should not exceed 90 degrees C. If all readings and prcesses turn out well, there should be no serious problems.
After the return and shut down, open oil filler cap and look for a grey or light brown cream inside of it. This may indicate a blown cylinger head gasket. Then carefully open coolant, and the coolant should be clean without any traces of oil in it.
Wishing yuou luck with the tests!
Greetings from Norway and Kjell

This is an excellent and very tough motor. Common things to look for are RUST, oil/coolant leaks (visible), smell the oil, check coolant for oil traces. Small white smoke at startup is normal (first 20 sec). After you start it, remove oil filler cap and place your hand over the opening, feel for blowby (air pumping out). If there is no pressure under your hand, rings are good and tight. If you can feel air, one or more pistons/liners need attention. While running, check gauges, make sure alternator is charging (higher than 13V). Oil pressure should be over 80PSI. Underway, while at 3200rpm cruise, coolant temp should not exceed 80 celsius or 175-180F. You should be able to rest your hand on the turbo exhaust side while motor is running, this indicates good raw water flow and proper cooling. If you can't, its not getting enough water flow (restriction in the system, usually at the pickup but can also be clogged aftercooler or heatexchanger.....or shot raw water pump impeller).

Like the other guy said, MAKE SURE MOTOR IS COLD WHEN YOU SHOW UP TO TEST IT. Mine was warm, and later I found out all glow plugs were shot, and previous owner used Starter Fluid to start the motor...... If its warm when you get there, count on replacing all glow plugs.

Great motor, doesnt make all that much HP, but with correct prop it can move alot of weight.

Back