Logo

D4 260 with DPH Trim pipe split.

MnM

Hi,
I have a DPH drive that has a leaking trim pipe that runs from the transom shield to the ram. When I try to un-do the pipe at the transom end, the whole lot turns. I can barely squeeze my hand in between the exhaust and the engine to tighten the nut but when I turn the outside nut, it loosens again.
Any ideas as the local VP agent suggests he may have to pull the engine forward to gain access.

Thanks,
MnM.

Forget being able to position and move a large wrench around the exhaust pipe, its impossible.

I made a special tool for this

Its a 22mm 1/2" socket, reamed out slightly on the smaller opening to allow trim tube to slip through. Socket is welded onto 19" (in my case I needed 19" to be able to clear the turbo exhaust housing on tamd41p 200hp) galvanized pipe 3/4" ID, whole assembly looks like a straight pipe. I disconnect the trim line from the trim motor, slip line into the socket/pipe starting at the socket, and snake pipe down over exhaust pipe onto the nut. At this point hydraulic trim line is passing through INSIDE of my socket and pipe setup. Then with pipe wrench, you can loosen or tighten it with ease.

I have seen some older trim lines have larger than 22mm nut on the transom assembly side, verify size before you try welding it

I had to install new line few days ago, and was done in 5 minutes

Will try and post photo of it, but might not be until Monday

Last edited:
Brilliant idea, and it sounds most plausable.
I am going down to the boat tomorrow and I will measure it up for the tube if my current idea of installing a second nut to act as a lock nut fails.
my problem is that the boat is 100 miles away in the countryside in carrick on shannon in Ireland.

Many thanks,
Matt.

Back