Logo

2003 Honda 225 hp Knocking

harvf16

Thanks for all the forum information always great information. My challenge today is with a 2003 Honda 225 four stroke and the Starboard engine has a knocking sound emanating from the mid section. At first I thought it was a valve tapping but the sound though similar is not directly tied to RPM and seams to be near the front of the motor.
I have drained the lower unit looking for metal filings and found very little, Im also not certain this may be an exhaust issue....thanks for a direction.

Re: 2003 Honda 225 Knocking

I just had one like this last week. It drove me nuts. At first it sounded like a valve, but it was louder in the midsection like yours.

I pulled the lower unit and connected a hose directly to the water pick up tube. Ran the engine and no more knocking. That meant there was something going on in the lower unit.

If it was an exhaust issue, it would have gotten louder.

I found very small hairlike particles of metal, but nothing significant in the gear lube.

Once I partially dissassembled the lower unit, I found forward gear had a missing tooth and everytime it came around and met the pinion gear, it made the knock.

I found the tooth in front of the forward gear, so it did not grenade the gearcase.

After tallking with the customer for a while, I finally found out that he hit something just before it started happening.

If you are trouble shooting yourself, do not go any further than pulling the lower unit and connecting the water hose for a test, unless you have the knowhow and tools to do it.

If you do isolate it to the lower unit, take it to a dealer. The tech will "kiss" you for not taking it apart. If you take it apart the wrong way, it is easy to lose some very small and important pieces. (Then no "kiss"! )

Many charge extra when you bring the assembly in pieces in a box.

Hope it turns out to be simple.

The lower unit is very critical putting everything back. There are special tools to remove the various gears and bearings.

Good luck.

Mike

Re: 2003 Honda 225 Knocking

Mike
Thanks for your thoughts.. I trailered the boat last night in prep for drop off to my Honda dealer...lower unit problems are not my cup of tea. Again thanks for the peace of mind,and I'll let you know the results. Mike

Back