Logo

1962 evinrude40 hp

J

john pfeiffer

I have a 1962 evinrude lark I

I have a 1962 evinrude lark IV 40 h.p. that runs pretty good but i am getting water in my lower unit.I replaced the impeller this winter and i was wandering if there is a seal that could be
around the drive shaft that could cause this problem. Because the oil does'nt leak out anywhere.Any info would be helpful.
thanks

" John,

There is a drivesha

" John,

There is a driveshaft seal which might be the problem.

There is also an o-ring which seals the shift rod on manual shift models.

On electric shift models the cable which carries current to the gearcase could also be a source of trouble.

Tony "

" John.... On both the manual

" John.... On both the manual and electric shift 40hp models, there is a driveshaft seal directly under the water pump plate, original OMC part number is 302545, superceeded by #313284 with a present price of about $10.00. There's a bearing just under that seal, which if faulty would cause the seal to fail. That bearing OMC number is 378578 with a present price of about $13.50. If there is no obvious external leak visible, that's the area I would suspect. Those items should be available at any OMC dealer but if you have problems locating them, I do have them in stock. (Joe - 30+ years with OMC) "

Back