Logo

2003 Honda 130 hp blowing 10A fuse.

mikek941

2003 Honda 130 keeps blowing 10 amp fuse. When you turn the key to start it, there is a pause before the motor turns over. Does it sound like a bad ignition switch? Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Re: 2003 Honda 130 blowing 10A fuse.

It could be your switch...but it could be a lot of other things.

If you have recently connected your battery, recheck all the wiring going to it. Make sure that you do not have any negative wires going to the positive terminal and no positive wires going to the negative terminal.

The 10 amp fuse powers several things.

1. Power trim switches
2. Key switch

Through the key switch it powers...

1. Gauges
2. Main power relay
3. Starter solinoid

Of course, it goes through the wiring harness, which somewhere along the start lead, there could be a short to ground.

Will it blow the fuse if the key switch is just in the on postion for a short time?

So, it could be the switch, since there are grounds inside the switch, and it could short the power to ground if there are broken or corroded parts inside the switch.

It also, could be the wiring at the battery being connected incorrectly. I have seen it many times.. Look at it carefully. If there is something that you can not identify, disconnect it until you are sure that is not the problem. In fact disconnect everything other than the positive and negative to the motor. This will eliminate everything but the motor from the equation.

You can also eliminate the starter solinoid from the equation by following the two wires (black/white and black/green) from the starter solinoid to a two wire connector. Disconnect it at the connector.

If that clears your problem, you may have a problem with the starter solinoid.

If not...

That leaves the switch, gauges and main relay.

If your dash is wired properly, the gauges should be wired through a fuse...but I would not count on it.

If you have a clamp on amp meter, you could measure the current going to each from there.

I am still considering the gauges or main relay (although not likely candidates), in case they are drawing more current than normal for some reason, but not enough to blow the fuse. Then when you go to start the engine, more current is being drawn by the start relay...enough to blow it.

The main relay on some of the 130's have had some issues...generally, they just fail to operate though.

Let's see what your wiring and disconnecting the starter relay tells us before I get to technical.

Mike

Last edited:
Re: 2003 Honda 130 blowing 10A fuse.

Thanks hondadude,
I'm stuck at work for the next 3 days and won't be able investigate till Thursday. When I check it out I'll post my findings. Thanks for all the info, now I know where to start looking. I'm sure I speak for many on this board when I say that you are truly a savior with the info you provide to this forum. Thanks again for the quick reply.:)

Back