Logo

NS 70 A2 Help

deadndwater

I finally received a replacement lower unit for my damaged NS 70 A2. I took apart the water pump to replace the impeller. I noticed that the drive shaft was not turning too freely no matter what position the shift rod was in. I took apart the remaining components and found that the nut that holds the main drive bevel gear had come off and it was now in pieces in the case. All other gears look okay as does the dog clutch, etc. Upon inspection, the threads on the drive shaft are damaged, most likely due to the nut coming off. Does anyone know the size of the threads / nut? I have a replacement nut from my original lower unit, so that's no problem, but it won't thread on due to the damage. I am assuming that I can repair the threads on the shaft with a metric die. I have only SAE dies, so I need to know what size die to buy....? THANKS

Since you have the nut from the old LU, do you not also have the driveshaft? That would be a cleaner solution then chasing the damaged threads on the "new" shaft.

Sorry - forgot to say that the old drive shaft sheared right above the water pump, so I have to use the 'new' one. But no worries, I took the old one (at least half of it) to a machine shop and they sized the threads for me....it is a 12 x 1. Thanks anyway.

Hi Elvin.
I'll give Alan a call. I left a mail with Nissan/Tohatsu yesterday as I could not find any contact numbers on their website but to be honest, I did not know if they would be interested.
Thanks very much for supplying me with a number. It's very much appreciated.
Best regards,
Scott.

Back