Logo

spring maintenance for 2006 150 hp

ribfan

Hi, Last fall I queried the group on what I should replace now that I've hit 200 hours on my 2006 150 hp. On top of all the normal stuff, ie. plugs, fluids & filters, it was suggested that I change the thermostats and impeller.
Well, it's close to spring here in new england, so it's time. I have all of the parts and a downloaded service manual. The thermostats look pretty straight forward, as does the pump. My question, anything I need to watch out for or and tricks I need to know. I have done all of my own work so far, and the last water pump rebuild was on my old Mariner 90. The motor is running fine and the tell-tail was fine last fall.

Thanks in advance.

Bill

Last edited:
Re: spring maintenance for 150

You will probably find that the water pump is as easy or easier than the 90 Mariner. Just be sure to follow the manual.

As for the thermostats....be sure that you put the correct thermostat in the correct location. They are two different temperatures. One for the head, one for the block. I hope you got a new o ring for the cover. It should also be replaced. Check the manual for how to identify the thermostats (cylinder head has purple paint and two grooves on the top...the block has three grooves).

If the impeller is missing any pieces, it would be good to backflush from the thermstat housings while the lower unit is off.

Have fun!

Mike

Re: spring maintenance for 150

Worked on the motor today, water pump and thermostats replacements both went pretty well. I did get the gasket for the stats. Impeller was still in one piece, so that made things a snap. Thermostats were a bit crusty, so I cleaned the housing and blew it out with compressed air. Greased where indicated, reassembled, gassed it up and it started first crank with a strong tell-tail. By the way, you were right, it was easier than the old Mariner.
Thanks for the advice.
Bill

Back