Logo

TAMD40B Fuel Injector Issue

fafinbound

I've got a single Volvo TAMD40B in a 27' Burpee. The engine was running fine, however I found a fuel leak on the injector pump where the distributor case mates with the Main body of the injector pump. The parts manual showed a seal ring at that location. I got a new seal ring and hired a local mechanic to remove and replace the seal ring. Once it was back together we started the engine normally (Pre-heated glo plugs for 10 seconds, applied half throttle and cranked) The engine started normally, then the RPMs took off. I closed the throttle (with no effect on the RPMs), then shut it down with the ignition switch. I know I saw at least 4500 RPM, and possibly more before it shut down. It ran for no more than 1-2 seconds before I shut it down

I've never been able to get (and I shouldn't be able to) more than 3600 RPM with the throttle wide open.

Now I can't get the engine to start... I've loosened up the injectors and have verified it is still getting fuel. The shutoff fuse has been reset and I can confirm continuity at the terminals. I'm getting 12 volts to the Glo Plugs.

The mechanic is cluless (DUH).

Any ideas??

Sounds like the governor mechanism in the pump. I suggest that you remove the injector pump and take it to a injection pump shop. They should be able to reseal it and calabrate it for a reasonable price. Make sure to line the timing mark on the pump before you remove it. It will be easier to reinstall. Here is a good link on the Bosch VE pump:

http://etc.gnarlodious.com/Vanagon/Bosch_Pump/-Rebuild.html

Last edited:
Glenn,
Thanks for the info and the link. I'm sure the guy screwed up something while putting the pump back together. He did not consult any reference, other than my parts manual for the engine while reassembling the pump.

After viewing the link you provided, I can see how easy it would be to make a mistake while putting it back together. I have another local mechanic that comes highly recommended coming by Friday. I'll talk with him about whether he can break it down and rebuild it. Otherwise I don't know of a shop hereabouts that specializes in rebuilding these pumps.

I've spoken to Oregon Fuel Injection http://www.o-f-i.com/index.php?page=sec/contact.php about a rebuild (they estimated $1000.00). These are the guys I got the rebuild kit from (only $12.00) and were quite friendly, patient and pleasant to deal with over the phone.

I've not had any luck locating others who could do the rebuild. Do you have any recommendations?

That is not a kitchen bench job.
As mentioned above, the pump need to be set up in a test bench and properly adjusted.
I would have sent the injectors together with the pump and had it all done in one operation. Will probably be cheaper and less problems.

Kent's diesel in Baton Rouge, LA rebuilt my pumps. Ronald Kent is the owner and is a very good guy. He also rebuilds turbos. Give him a call, he could give you an estimate. Very reasonable.

9684 Mammoth Avenue
Baton Rouge, LA 70814-4111
(225) 929-9500

Thanks Guys,

The pump has been removed and will be inspected, rebuilt as required by a Bosch cetified shop. I'll let you know how it works out.

Back