Logo

1990's 9.9 hp Tohatsu not starting

dotman

Hi all,

I've got a late 90's 9.9 2cylinder 2 stroke tohatsu.

I have had it for over a year and it has always started on the 3rd pull or so.

The other day it failed to start on the water. I took it home and it started in the driveway. Next time on the water it was dead again.
It turns over fine and I know the gas should be fine since it is fresh at the start of spring plus marine stabil.

I checked plugs and they look ok. Fuel filter was drained and cleaned. When I pump the bulb I see fuel entering the bowl. It is acting like it is not even trying to start.

I ohm'd out the kill switch and it seems to be working (i.e. not shorted out)

I'm trying to see what else I can check with my ohm meter on the coil or cdi before I just start replacing parts.

Also, the book says that when pumping the bulb it should get firm (Mine does not) is that true. It has always run fine even though the bulb does not "firm" up.

It's not an electric start or electric tilt. Just plain manual start.

Help would be greatly appreciated.

Scott

Re: 1990's 9.9 Tohatsu not starting

The ball should be firm and the specs and test procedures for the electronics can be found in the service manual.

If the inlet check valve in the primer bulb is leaky, it may not firm up well. A new bulb is cheap.

You can test for spark without any instruments -- remove a plug, safely hold it to ground, and crank with the plug wire connected to the plug. In low light, the spark should be evident. If not, you need to troubleshoot further.

A DVA-equipped voltmeter can show you the presence or lack of a pulse, and its amplitude, going from the CD to the ignition coil. Specs for impedances are in the Factory service manual.

I to have a nissan 9.9 outboard that doesn't always start, it's a spark issue, it will start & run fine, but then other days will not start at all, no spark. My question is do the CDI units brake down like this ? I remember from my motorcycleling day that the CDI units either worked or they didn't. This is a very frustating problem, any ideas out there ? Thanks, AL

Back