Logo

2003 Nissan NSF9.8A will not idle

NorthRiver

I have a 2003 Nissan NSF9.8A 3V2-1 serial number 042720xc "kicker" that runs off main 40 gallon aluminum tank of boat. I have never had a problem with it until now. It gets moderate to light usage mainly trolling. Boat fuel tank was filled in December. Nissan outboard has not been run since October. Nissan will start easily on choke and will run at high - medium rpm just fine without choke but will not idle down without the choke on to shift or troll and of course eventually dies on choke from too rich a mixture. Plugs are original and clean. Blew out fuel filter - it was clean. Hand cranked motor without spark lugs with pump to carburator line disconected and a jet of fuel came out with each pull. Fuel bulb line from tank to motor is in good shape and bulb builds pressure which holds. I pulled the brass drain screw on carburator and drained fuel from carburator. Main motor (marinized 350 chevy) runs fine on fuel in tank. There does not appear to be any low speed/high speed adjustment screws so I am at a loss of what to do next except clean the carburator. Can I spray cleaner in the fuel hose inlet and get any cleaning or do I have to take it appart and boil it? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Take it apart and soak it. Spray cleaners are only used as a preventive measure as they are too weak to dissolve any serious blockages.

Back