Logo

2000 BF130 Does not star after warmiming up!

mynutznbolt

Hi, I have a 2000 BF130 that i can cold choke start and runs fine, can go without any hesitation, untill I shut it off. When I try to start it up right after it won't start. The starter turns over till I can smell fuel, but won't start. I suspect the ignition system like cdi unit, but need some tips or suggestions for testing please. Thanks. [email protected]

See if you are losing spark. Take a timing light and hook up to one of the spark plug wires when this happens and see if it flashes when you crank. It is not the best test for spark...but if you have no flashing, you have no spark.

Mike

Ok...more questions...

1 - When you go to start the motor, do the four warning lights come on for two seconds then go out?

2 - Is there a beep beep at the same time?

3 - If you answer no to both the above, check and reseat the 10 amp and 30 amp fuse in the fuse panel on the engine. May be corrosion on the contacts opening the connection when they get hot from the engine heat. (This is wishful thinking looking for something simple).

4 - If those are good, then you may have an issue with the main power relay. Normally, the relay just quits....but stranger things have happened. This relay has had failures in several model 130 and yours is in that series. You may have already had it changed when it was in warranty.

If the answers were yes to the first and second questions...then it is time to check and reseat all the connectors that you can see. Especially, those going to and from the ECU. Check for any corrosion.

Also, remove your safety landyard and reinstall it several times.

See if you can find the two pulser coils on top of the engine. See if either one looks slightly melted. That could be an indication of failure or potential failure. They both connect to the ecu through the same connector. They are located on either side of the largest pulley on top of the engine. If either one of these crack or fail, then no spark.

I am not sure how comfortable you are with trouble shooting. After some of these steps, it can start getting a little more technical.

Do you have a Service Manual? If not, it would help to at least find where some of the parts are located.

Hopefully, you have a MIL (check engine) light.

Although, you are probably now trouble shooting while the engine is able to start....you will check for codes next. You will need the MIL light and a paper clip.

We will get into that based on the answers to the questions above.

Mike

Back