Logo

Volvo Penta MD2030 White Smoke and low power

GSLCruiser

A friend of mine bought a boat that was in dry dock for about 5 years. The diesel Volvo Penta MD2030 was installed just before dry dock so had very little time on it. Last spring the boat finally sailed and the engine fired up fine and ran great until about a month before dry dock for the winter. The engine starts with no apparent problems but blows lots of white smoke from start to shut down and lacks any kind of power to propel the vessel at any speed. No unusual noises are coming from the engine either. I have searched some of the threads so will start with the injectors but with no starting problems or fuel in the water I am not expecting an immediate solution.

Stored with diesel in tank and system for 5 years?
Start by changing all filters!!!
The white smoke is an indication of lack of cooling water in the exhaust.
Check the water flow through engine, water intake for barnacles, impeller and even exhaust bend for corroded water out let.

hi gsl, sounds like lack of compression in one cylinder could be caused by valves not seating fully in the head or corrosion on the seat, suggest testing the compression on each cylinder , lots of white smoke is usally caused by unburnt diesel, hope you compression test before you go spending any money on injectors

Back