Logo

2007 BF 25 hp stalls when idling

briangehan

My Honda BF25 (2007) has had about 1-4 hrs. of use a week since it was new. It has been maintained well, but since early on it has stalled more and more while at idling speed - and only while idling. It runs great otherwise, but always stalls after a minute or so at idle. After stalling the motor seems flooded, and will not restart untill a couple minutes pass. Carburators tuned too rich?? Any suggestions would be great. I'd love to try the repair myself, but not sure where the tuning screws on this motor are (or if that is even the problem). Also would like to hear any advice on which service manuals are the best for Hondas for more than just maintainance.
Thanks

Re: BF25 stalls when idling

If your motor is in this serial number BATJ-1000001~1300212, and the markings on your starter enrichener (the white knob with a wire on top of your top carburator) begin with DR...or DE...there was a Service Bulletin #60 for a hard to start condition. It fixes a too lean situation. It changes out the float bowl and the starter enrichener on the top carburator. It allows more fuel to flow during warmup. They also rebalance the carburators. All about a two hour job.

Check with your dealer.

If your motor idles ok once it warms up and it runs good otherwise, then no matter what the trouble, it is probably only in your top carburator in the starting circuit.

If you are still in warranty, and your motor is in this serial number range, and the enrichener is marked as I described above, the work should be performed under warranty.

The only adjustments you can make are the idle mixture screws and they have limiter caps on them.

Again, if the motor idles and runs good when warmed up, then it is in the starting circuit on #1 carburator.

To answer your question on repair manual. I would only get one from Helm Inc. They are a little pricey, but will cover everything about your motor. http://www.helminc.com/helm/Result.asp?session=8963787F082841F693004C12F76927D3&Style=helm&Mfg=AHP&Make=MAR&Model=OUTB&Year=&Category=1&Keyword=&Module=&selected%5Fmedia=

Pilotart, in some other posts, recommends a pdf version from out of the country. They are probably ok, but I have no experience with them.

Mike

sounds like fuel problem sticky float will cause this also might be dirt blocking one of jets

Question: If one carb seems to be flooding out (because I can actually see it seeping) Is it a guarantee that THAT carburetor is the problem?
Or could it in fact be another carb...like the top carb filling up and then leaking down to the middle or bottom and overwhelming that one?
Thanks,
Mark

Megawhaler,

Which carb is seeping and where are you seeing it seep?

Generally, if one carb is overflowing, it is pretty much that carburator. It will not normally leak to another one, but your carbs do have several interconnecting hoses, which could cause unusual things to happen.

In any case, if you have an issue in one carb, the other carbs are probably not far behind. So, if you work on one, you should work on all of them. Then you know...all is right with the world..

Mike

Last edited:

Thanks hondadude, Its a 50hp with 3 carbs. The middle one is leaking. it's coming out of an overflow/silver blanking plate. Not sure what it is, but it's the size of a dime and has a gap in it. It's like the carb fills up to the top, the engine starts to bog down and it will start leaking out. If i quickly drain the float bowl, it will clear out and keep running fine. Doesn't happen at idle, and doesn't typically happen at WOT, but mostly during mid range when the gas doesn't burn off quick enough.

It is coming out of a breather for the carburator bowl. The overflow is caused by a stuck float valve in that carburator.

Sometimes a few gentle taps to the seam where the carb bowl and the carb come together will jar it loose. You can use a small piece of wood against the carb and tap it with a hammer (but do not get carried away)

You will know real quick it it works.

Your motor runs ok at higher speeds because the motor needs that extra fuel that the open valve is producing. At slower speeds, that cylinder is flooding, so the engine runs rough and is probably fouling your spark plug.

If the taps do not work, you can try various solutions like Sea Foam into your carb bowl through the drain, but I might be best just to remove your carbs and clean them.

I say them, because if one has an issue, the others are probably not far behind.

I am thinking that the tapping will probably fix it. Normally, the bottom carburator presents the problems before the others.

I highly recommend in any case to use PRI-G or Sea Foam on a regular basis to help clean up any potential clogging.

Mike

Thanks. Will try. But i'm now starting to think the problem is more severe...The ethanol in the fuel is melting everything. 2 of the carbs have already been replaced. I replaced the fuel lines with *Alchohol resistant* lines and they got soft within a week and after removing them and letting them dry out, they are now so brittle I can snap them. Melted 2 new in-line fuel filters as well. I do know the tollerance in the Honda carbs is rediculous. So i'm thinking something got into the chambers of the carbs and are causing ablockage. However, the fact that running full out and consuming all that extra gas does point toward something with the float level.....I'll investigate that part further. Thank you again.

Back