Logo

9.8 nissan 4 stroke won't start

ardenne

ok, this is a brand new engine, only been used 4-5 times... went to start it today, it fired up ok to start with, but wouldn't catch. Repeated attempts to start it only got worse and worse... now when I push the ignition button, the LED light doesn't even light up...using the pull start I haven't been able to get it started either... (although the light does come on with the pull start)... The engine just won't catch. So, I hoping that someone hear can give me some idea of what things to check... any help would be appreciated!
Cheers

From your description, it could be almost anything, even an empty fuel supply. The 3 things to troubleshoot are mechanical, electrical, and fuel. Verify good fuel to the carb, verify spark, and continue from there. The LED shows low oil pressure, and may not light during electric starting. I would expect it to flash when pull starting.

Were there any unusual sounds? Is the primer bulb firm? Are the plugs wet or dry or black with carbon? What is the oil level in the crankcase? Is the choke operating properly, or is it stuck shut? These preliminary checks will help us to diagnose thew problem.

If this motor is new, it should be in the 3-year warranty. What are the precise model and serial numbers? Your dealer should be able to help you. Did the dealer perform the PDI before you got the motor?

Back