Logo

fuel tank cleaning

gradywhiteman

Contributing Member
I put five gallons of gas in my tank about two weeks ago to see if the tank leaked and also to dissolve any residue that might be in the tank. (The boat sat for a few years before we bought it this winter.) I pumped some gas out today with the primer bulb and it came out straw colored, you could not see through it, had some water in it too. Any advice on a product that would clean it out or should I keep flushing it with clean gas?

pull the tank sender ,off carefully,and suck out as much as possible...inst a lg fuel filter/wtr seperator ....keep flushing w a cpl gal of gas...we used to add a half cup of alcohol,when water was found in a tank,..now w/alky in our fuel,i doubt that is necc.

Thanks for your reply. The boat has a filter/separator on it already. I disconnected it and I am pulling the gas right from the tank. The gas I put in a jar cleared to the point where you can see through it overnight and just the water in the bottom of the jar is amber in color. I will continue with using gas to flush it and maybe throw a can of drygas in.

I used an electric fuel pump and a raycor fuel/water seperator/filter to clean my tanks out. I had 20 ft of fuel hose to keep the pump away from any possible fumes. A hose connected to some flexible copper tubing acts like a vacumme cleaner for your tank. the hose goes from the fuel pump to the Raycor unit and another hose from the unit to the deck fuel fill. I let it circulate the fuel for about an hour. It got all of the junk/water out. Be super careful about no sparks around fumes. I had to build the rig after my wife thought she was filling the water tank!!!!! I caught her, but about 3 gallons of water had already gone in the fuel tank. "A learning experience"

Back