Logo

2006 50 hp bf50a running a little rough.

groove508

My honda bf50a does not seem to run as good as it once did. It's an '06 and this what I do maintinance wise and what I dont. I change oil and lower unit lube every year, fog cylinders and it has a fresh set of plugs corectly gapped. I dont do the recomended fuel line drain and have never changed the fuel filter. When is it due for the fuel filter to be changed?

Thanks, Groove

Re: bf50a running a little rough.

Your owner's manual says to check the fuel filter every 6 months or 100 hours . It should be changed every 2 years or 400 hours, whichever comes first.

It looks like you are overdue, if you have not changed it before.

You should at least use some fuel treatment all the time. It can be Stabil, Stabil Marine, Sea Foam, or PRI-G. The fuel goes bad so fast and they keep the fuel in relatively good condition. The Stabil Marine, Sea Foam or PRI-G also keeps your passages clean and minimizes carbon deposits. There are others out there, but these seem to be the most popular.

Hopefully, your problem is only a clogged fuel filter.

If not, you may have some passages clogged in one or more of you carburators.

Before you entertain going through that, you should check the compression and spark to be sure there is not something else going on inside the motor.

Let's hope for clogged filter.

Mike

Back