Logo

1996 75 hp Mariner that beeps continuously

buffy

new to fixin boats..i have had my 1996 astro out 3 times and the last time it started beeping continuously and ran fine.. i put it up for winter and tried starting it again with the rabbit ears and it started beeping again.. i noticed the pee hole had some dirt in it and cleaned it out and no water came out. i took the cover off of the motor and noticed the tank of ?? oil was bone dry.. now my first question is the previous owner said mix the oil and gas together.. does that mean that the plastic container by the motor that holds 2 quarts of something is where the oil used to be injected was disconnected and bypassed now by adding the oil to the gas and if so how do i find out if this is so and my second question is how do i know if i have a water pump problem or just a clog somewhere. afraid to start my engine till i figure out about the oil and water not coming out. thanks.. sorry so longa post

Re: 75 Mariner that beeps continuously

First off, if you don't know when the water pump was changed last, replace it. They need to be replaced at least every two years. The oil injection has probably been disconnected but you will need to look at the lines and trace them back to be sure. Was your beep one long continuous one or a beep beep beep. If it was one long continuous beep then that is the overheat alarm. If it was beep beep beep, then it is the oil alarm, and there is a good chance that your oil injection does work, and it ran out of oil. Hope for the first and not the last.

i finally got the pee hole to pump water , it was clogged with dirt. so the water pump works for now .. i unhooked the 2 blue wires from the oil tank and the short beeps stopped. Now it looks like everthing is still hooked up. so i need to know whether or not i still put oil in the gas or let it be injected in. what process do i go about without burning up my motor... thx so much you all are great

get a manual, and it will tell you how to check the oil injection, mainly oil output. If that is right you should be able to run straight gas, but if it isn't, you need to mix your gas. I say get a manual, because you have to follow a certain procedure to check the oil volume. Good luck and happy boating. And as I said before, if you don't know when the water pump was changed last put one in the cost is minimal compared to what can happen if it goes out and your alarm just happens to not work.

I think the oil tank is the problem, you can do a teste quick, disconect the blue wire from the botton of the tank, can be just one wire, and see if the alarm goes out, if it does, replace the oil tank

Back