Logo

2004 60hp oil tank draining through lower carb

tiburns

I have been trying to solve a leaking oil tank. (?) I took it to a dealer and he changed the oil tank. I asked where the tank was leaking and he told me he didn't test tank just changed it. I was also told that the carbs removed and soaked and cleaned. I don't believe that the tank is problem. I also don't believe the carbs were removed and cleaned. I filled tank and went to the dock. Had a hard time starting but the seemed to work. Noticed a lot of oil smoke. When I parked the boat at home the next couple of days there was a puddle of oil under the boat again. I started looking my self. I found that the carb cover was full of oil. I looked into the carbs and the lower carb had excessive oil in air way. I removed the float bowl drain screws and found the lower carb full of oil. None to the others have that problem. I am guessing that the carbs were only sprayed clean not remove and cleaned as I was told. Will rebuilding the carb fix this problem or is there something else I should look at?

I trusted mechanic now I don't believe work was done properly. Be careful. He was a mercury warranty service rep.

Any help will be appreciated.

Pardon my interuption but I have a 1996 60 hp bigfoot that is having the same problem the oil pools in the lower cylinder. if I let it sit for a few days it is hard (and smokey) to start. it has sat in by barn all winter and all of the oil has drained from the tank. to the floor and all thru the motor. I think it is just leaking thru the oil injector but I dont know how that is possible. I have been looking for an answer for 2 years.

1998 115 merc.classic

i thought i was alone in this, oil was draining back to gas tank

i have a water seperating filter and when the boat sat for a while you could see the 2cycle oil in the clear bowl

the engine was full of oil, plugs oil fouled, when i changed the exhaust cover gaskets the exhaust ports were saturated with oil.

for winter storage this year my boat dealer said to disconect the gas line and run the boat out of fuel. i did that and when i checked out the boat this spring, the line on the motor from fuel pump to quick connector was full of oil. i disconnected the clear line that goes from the oil pump to the fuel check valve and a small amount of oil slowly dripped out overnite.

i did the oil pump output test and the oil pump put out 30% more oil than
it was supposed to. my boat guy said he had never seen a pump go bad this way. i replaced the pump,oil lines, and check valve, and so far the oil level hasn't dropped. the plugs dont foul running in the water tank, i am going to try to go to the lake this week to find out if i fixed it.

Did you replace it yourself (the oil pump) and if so how did you get it out??? or did your boat guy do it for you. I am trying to remove it now without much luck. I can only find and remove 1 bolt the pump is loose but wont come out.

anyway it is good to know replaceing the pump looks like it worked.

If oil is draining back on a 2 stroke, than the metering valve is broken open. Common problem. Follow the oil line from the pump to the brass tee. There is a 2 psi valve inside that tee. I had never seen a pump go bad that way, Ray.

what I see comming out of the pump about half way to the plastic "T" is a short (about 1/2 inch) piece of brass pipe would this be the metering valve???

Time bandit I am not sure if you can help but I called Marine engine to order this part and they could not find it. Is it possible to either get a part number or a discription that would help them find it????
1995 60hp bigfoot, SN# 0G238415 Model #20ET2
any help would be appreciated.

I came up with 22-818994. That valve shuts the oil off. The line between the cowl pan and the pump has this tee for the oil to be injected.

Last edited:
Re: psychic

A psychic is a person who professes an ability to perceive information hidden from the normal senses through extrasensory perception, are you looking for a perfect psychic astrology, psychic palm readings and a psychic healing powers, you can call us at 877-763-3431 or visit our site http://psychicsourcecenter.com/fat/.

Thank you, With that part number I was able to find it on the Carb assembly drawing. I was able to compare the drawing with my engine and order the part.

Thanks again.

Timebandit;
You may be my new Hero!
I have a Mercury tracker 60 Serial # OG193864 leaving a puddle of 2 cycle oil on the floor.
Last October I cleaned carbs (Dad's boat sat for 4 plus years) and engine ran great with "ear muffs" so I put it away for winter and not started since.
yesterday oil tank was empty and lower cylinder of engine and carb were FULL of oil. After clearing all this up - BIG MESS BLEW OIL EVERYWHERE
I confirmed oil is draining into lower and possible middle Carbs. Based on your conversation with Coldwaterlk above,
I came up with 22-8189941 check valve.
Can you confirm if this is correct # based on Serial # OG193864 or do I need different # and or have a different problem?

Your oil pump is leaking internally and draining into the crankcase and on to the floor. If the check valve is bad it usually backfills oil into the fuel line and back towards the fuel tank. Replace the oil pump. Pull the powerhead to gain access to the pump screws and to be able to remove the pump leaving the driven gear and bearing in place. You will need to replace the two o rings. Also replace the oil lines while you're in there since they may be original.

Back