Logo

steering problems with ns90a

jbr2585

I have this 90 hp motor, but I'm having trouble with the steering. It's really stiff and I'm having a hard time turning the motor from the bracket. I already loosen the bolts at the bottom rubber mounts. I tried greasing it again, because I just got this motor and I don't know when it was last greased by the previous owner. Can anyone give me any helpful suggestions?

no, I have the steering detached. It was worst but since I've been messing with it, it has gotten better but not enough to steer freely. I still have to force it to move. Could it be that the old grease it the unit has dried up?

Yes. Old dry grease (and salt buildup) can cause this. If the salt crud is left in too long, it can corrode the swivel as well.

Thanks guys for your input. I think it was old grease that had been sitting too long. I took an oil pump and made a hose with a fitting that fit that of the grease fitting. I then pumped oil in it and turn it several times to get everything lube up. I then followed it by putting new grease in it. This seemed to work. It has loosen up a lot. I'll keep working on it and and let you guys know how it goes. I believe this is going to work for me. Thanks again.

Back