Logo

Removing shift link connector on 2000 Honda 8hp outboard

I'm trying to replace the water pump on the unit.
I bought the repair manual for the motor, and it tells me to remove the shift link connector after removing the cotton pin and pin to the vertical shaft.
I'm discovering to remove the connector, i'll have to remove the flywheel, spring click, and arm gearshift. :( :confused:
I was wondering if anyone tried to replace the water pump without removing the shift link connector?:confused:

You should remove the rectifier before you pull the flywheel. I do not remember ever pulling the flywheel for this procedure.

Generally, that will give you enough (although never really enough) room.

Be sure to count the number of turns that it takes to remove the shift rod joint. Then remember to put it back the same number of turns so the shifting stays the same.

This is probably one of the most difficult motors to change the water pump on.

Here is something that you might try...as a short cut...no guarantee.

I think your version has a two piece drive shaft. The drive shaft going through the water pump housing sticks out only a couple of inches. It then goes into the upper driveshaft, which also comes out.

Put the motor in forward...Then without disconnecting anything, remove the bolts that hold the lower unit on. If I am right, the lower unit should drop down far enough to let you separate the lower unit from the upper drive shaft. Be careful not to bend the shift shaft, since everything is still connected up top. You will have to have something to support the lower unit, but you should have enough room the change the water pump without taking the shiftshaft loose.

It can be somewhat cumbersome to do, but it might be easier than dealing with those little cotter pins.

If you ever have to reseal the lower unit, it will have to come all the way off.

Back