Logo

1992 2stroke 120hp Tahatsu starting trouble

pj444u2

Sometimes it starts, sometimes it wont. Turns over but wont start...had checked by mechanic, compression normal, was completely takin apart and they found no problems... Some days starts right up and runs all day, starting and restarting... then for unknown reason will not start again. Then a few hours later it runs again... Last time out started and ran for 45 minutes shut it down and would not restart in a 7 hour period...seatow to the rescue, took it home tried to flush and it started?!?! Does not seem to run long at any time when flushing, always stalls after a few minutes....need help I wanna go fishing. At mechanics again he says he never has it happen to him?!? When it runs it runs great! I figure its a gas problem but he says no?!?!

Intermittent problems are the worst to isolate. You would need to test for problems when it is malfunctioning. Your mechanic can't fix it if it doesn't fail for him, since he doesn't have any problem to diagnose. If fuel and mechanical systems check out, you may have a temperature-sensitive ignition component, such as a coil that fails when hot. The only way to know for sure will be to have it fail, and then diagnose the problem while the failure is happening.

Thanks for the reply. Mechanic has the boat trying what you suggested. Its just that the last time we dropped the boat off he kinda rubbed ya the wrong way, dont want to get screwed.. I dont know much about motors so any suggestions would be great!

Just an FYI....mechanic finally found the problem....it was the stator....ahhhh what a relief that it actually broke down on him...FINALLY.... just waiting for the repair to be complete

Back