Logo

power wires to motor

stangaddy

Last w/e I found my power wires from my battery to my motor damaged beyond repair. It is a BF90AT , 1996, it looks like #2 awg, can I buy #2 awg welding cable to run from the center console to the motor, its about 15 ft or less. I have someone else telling me I need to go to a #4 but I don't think they are correct. Please help I am going to repair this Saturday.

Thanks
"Plano Me" in S.C.

If you are not replacing with the original equipment cable, go for the largest cable that will fit and one that is flexible.

Your choice of the 2 ga welding cable should work ok for that distance rather than the larger 4 ga. The overall voltage drop should turn out to be less than a volt if your starter is working ok.
The starter draws 90 amp (no load) to a maximum of 300 amp (top limit).

For the sake of others reading this...
If you were replacing the cable with the standard Honda battery cable, you can extend it by...terminating the cable on two heavy duty distribution studs. (Like the one of the first page of this accessory sheet. http://marine.honda.com/pdf/accessories/ml.rerap45a.MAC_Miscellaneous.pdf
Then, you would terminate #1 ga or #2 ga cables and run them to the battery or battery switch. Of course the gauge cable could be smaller for smaller motors and will vary depending of the length of the run.

Back