Logo

2005 Mercury 4 stroke 60 hp losing power, pls help long post with details

myrtlebcouple

Wow, this must be a busy site.,,second time I am trying to post:

I need help with a 2005 Mercury 4 stroke outboard. I bought a new 2009 Tracker V-16 pro guide at our local Bass Pro Shop here in Myrtle Beach SC. I took a 2005 60 hp instead of the standard 40 hp package...it came with the same 5 year warranty, so I was ok with it.

We have about 45 hours on the boat/motor last year. No problems. I put the boat in our garage for the winter. In Jan, I added fuel addative. In early Feb, I ran the motor for 15 mins with a hose in the D.way. I changed the oil, and drained the lower casing oil. It had a little water in it, and it was a bit milky at first, thick, then seemed to thin out. I put in new Quicksiver gear casing (green, very liquid, unlike what came out) to the proper level.

Two weeks ago ( ate March of this year), I took the boat out for a run, for about an hour. Ran fine. A week later, I took the boat out for the day. Thank god I was close to the marina, as after an hour of running at 3/4 throttle, it seem to "slip". Meaning, it seemed like I pulled the throttle back, but the engine raced....no beeps, nothing. I ran it back to the Marina at almost idle speed. Any time I increased speed....it would "slip". Best example is like putting down the clutch of a manual transmission car while driving (I am not a boat expert!!).

I called the dealer. He said check the prop. I took it off and the rubber "grommet" seems fine, not twisted, pieces, etc. It seems fine. I checked the lower casing lube, it is green, no metal, no water, very fluid, just like when I added it a few weeks ago, full as it should be.

Do you guys have any suggestions? Also, very important question...it is under warranty. Do I have to take it to the same place I bought it? Asking as they told me it will take 2 weeks BEFORE they can even look at it. Can I take it to a certified Mercury dealer and have it fixed?

I bought a new boat so I would not have to deal with this. I know things happen. This boat is in better then dealer show room. Any help, suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Thanks, and sorry for the long post but I tried to give as much detail as possible!

Mike

Sounds like the prop is slipping. Just looking at it will not tell you, Mark it with a grease pen and try it in the water again (just a short run) then check to see if it has slipped. To answer your other question, any authorized mercury dealer can take care of warranty issues. Hope this helps.

you can buy a new prop but it is alot cheaper to have it rehubbed. 100-200 bucks for rehub, 400 pluss for new prop, but on a brand new boat it should be covered under warranty unless you hit something with it.

Back