Logo

Aftermarket trim gauge? 2002 90 hp

dhelm72

Hi all. I have a 2002 Mercury 90 ELPTO. I would like to add a trim gauge but a mercury mechanic told me that this motor doesn't have the sending unit. Is there an after market gauge that would work without a sending unit? Maybe some sort of universal trim gauge? How would I install one if it is possible with this motor.

Thanks

Re: Aftermarket trim gauge?

The motor does have a factory sender and gauge that is available at the dealer. I do not have the part # in front of me. I will find it.

Thanks for the fast reply. I guess he's not the sharpest mechanic. I don't even know where to find the sending unit. I looked all around the power trim motor and cylinder. I know it will be easy to install. Once I find the sending unit it should just be simple wiring and a gauge install.
I'll look for your reply.

Last edited:

If I'm not mistaken the sender will have to be installed along with the gauge. Just give timebandit awhile and he will find the part number for you, or call a merc dealer for parts and pricing.

Ok, the Merc part # for the sensor is 821400A05. (STBD mount in-line engine). (Not the V-6 one.) The gauge can be any Teleflex or whater kind you want. (As long at it says it fits Mercs.) Merc does not offer a "kit" anymore. They use to.

Thanks for the help guys.
Timebandit,
If I understand you correctly, I have to add the trim position sensor (the part number you provided me). Is this why I don't find a sender or some sort of position sensor near the trim cylinder?

David

Correct. That is not factory installed on 90's and 115's in those in those years. There is a mount on the stbd side above the ram, that looks like a BF slot screw where the cross pin goes through.

Get some auto anti-seize paste for the screws, or be kicking yourself in 3 years when it goes bad and the screws bust. The sensor does not last that long. :(

The way you adjust it by putting a rod through the highest pin hole (3/8 rachet extension) and moving the sensor to 3/4 line on the gauge with motor in that spot.

Last edited:
Back