Logo

Sport Jet 1984 90 HP Electronics Upgrade???

nfaust01

I just picked up a 1994 Baja Blast Jet boat which has the 90HP Sport Jet 3cyl 2-stroke outboard motor connected to a jet drive. I have read about al lthe horror stories about how the electronics are crap and have been upgraded. My grandfather, whom i bought the boat from, stated it is always burning up the coil due to over voltage. He also said the is a upgrade for this. My question is what do you all know about this motor and where can i buy the upgrades. As of now the boat does run, apparently, have not started it yet due to a bad starter. Any insight on any info you may have on this little bugger would be great.
PS i have read something about a red stator and black stator and this boat has the black one which i know is the old one, so need to get that upgraded.....but where?

Re: Sport Jet 90HP Electronics Upgrade???

K i have researched a ton and found that this is the kit i need: CDM CONV KIT-90J 835084A 1. My next question i ask is that i found this kit in seperate parts and i already have a good flywheel and coils. This kit comes with these items. the fly wheel being my biggest concern and the most expensive part, do i really need the new flywheel, does it have any special features that my current one doesnt have to make it work with CDM ingnition? Any help would be great.

Any CDM conversion will require an different flywheel and trigger. To much $$$$. What are you trying to fix? The black stator? The stator was the whole problem. The hi-speed windings, I mean.

The red staror works fine with the adaptor module. The module for the rev-limiter is also problematic.

Well long story short, I bought the boat recently and the owner stated it has been broke down quite a bit due to no spark. It has no spark now but have not looked into exactly why quite yet. I am looking to replace a problematic part to fix the issue of losing spark, that could be a red stator fix or cdm upgrade, obviously the cdm upgrade is tons of money but i am willing to spend that if it gives me trouble free operation. Now if the red stator will achieve this as well i will go that route as it is much cheaper. You seem to understand these better than most so what is your suggestion. And where can i buy your suggestion. I am mechanically inclined so fixing it is no bid deal.

Last edited:

If all the spark comes and goes at random, than unplug the rev-limit module wiring first. The stator and sw. box are either alive or dead.
Maybe the kill switch/ key switch is AFU,ed.

Hi, my friend has this exact situation and has upgraded to the red stator upgrade package. The first stator he received was defective and when he got the second one he tested it on the hose for one hour before doing a sea trail today. The sea trial lasted ten minutes before going to a no spark situation again. The kill switch is o.k. He owns a car repair shop that is too expensive but he is qualified.

Drew

I have ordered a DVA meter and a used set of coils and switch box so the testing will begin this weekend.

Drew
so your friend had no luck with just the stator upgrade? I realize the CDM upgrade is quite a bit of money, However if it fixes it and keeps it running like it should i don't mind putting that money into it. The whole red stator thing is confusing, some say you do that the ignition is fine, others say it doesn't change a thing as far as reliability.

I just want to get this thing going and keep it going.

nfaust01, My friend did some inquiring among some marine techs and it was determined he try the switch box next. The next morning after the brief sea trial the engine started right up. He has ordered it and it will be here this week. I know he has over $500 in the upgrade pkg. Stay tuned and I will post when we test again.

Drew

drew-
thank you for the insight on this. I hope to get the DVA meter soon to do some testing because as of now i have no idea why it is not getting spark. leaning towards the switch box though. I think i will repair what is broke with any upgrade part they may have and go from there.

We got out the meter and got confusing results with the numbers provided by the repair manual. He bought the upgrade because he was told the black stators were junk. I am an Electrician and there are some serious voltage coming out of the stator so be carefull. I told my friend to get a can of spray freeze and we could spray the components after it quits. He did not listen because the pros say it must now be the switchbox. Good luck

Well got a red stator and some used ignition parts and i tore it down just to find my manual does not match the wiring i have. The new stator came with 2 yellow and a grn/wht and wht/grn wires where as my old black stator had 6 wires but 2 of them being a ground. I am at a loss now because i dont even know how to hook it up again due such a variance in colors of wiring.

Green white wires are the charge coil and yellows are the battery charge. The motor has a black switch box on the side? The red stator won't connect without and adapter (will blow the box) that should have been in the stator kit. Than the red wires on the box do not go anywhere anymore. The adapter lowers the voltage on the blue wires.

Also, the battery charge rectifer module might have to be changed as well to handle the power from the red stator.

Last edited:

Yes it has the switch box on the side, and no adapter came with it and i do not have a rectifier i believe. I have not had time to look into this further yet though. If i could get my hands on a manual i think i would be fine. I have a version of a manual but it is for a 95 sport jet where mine is a 94 so of course the wiring is completely different.

Did you ever resolve that issue ? I'm having the same issue the upgraded kit comes with a flywheel that won't fit my crankshaft. I'm force to use the old flywheel but don't get spark

First this post is over 12 years old and highly doubt original poster will answer...2nd you have to change/use a CDM flywheel as trigger hub magnets are different.

Back