Logo

new to the forum

fin reaper

Hi all, I just picked up an older merc (90 hp) and I'm not sure what year it is (no serial number plate). I'd guess late 60's/early 70's vintage. I'm having a few issues that you guys may be able to help with.

The starter bendix isn't engaging the flywheel all the time - I tried 3 in 1 oil around bendix and I can slide the drive up by hand, but it won't consistently go up with power. Should I try a different grease (lithium etc) before I get a new starter?

Also - it appears that my flywheel doesn't accomodate the pull start dogs - I'm thinking the fly wheel had been replaced in the past. See attached pic.

Lastly, any recommendations on merc parts suppliers online?

Thanks!

Attachments

• DSCF1796.jpg
    DSCF1796.jpg
    49 KB · Views: 67
A weak battery or a bad connection will cause that problem. Look on the motor for a round welsh plug with a 7 digit number stamped in it. That should be your serial no.

I just charged the battery (deep cycle) and ran it directly to the starter - no change. The bendix still won't engage. I think I'll tear it apart again and lube it all up once more.

The front cover says Kiekhaefer Mercury 900. The welsh plug on the block wasn't round. One marking on the port side was 836-1852 with "TIGER" on the next cylinder down.

On the very top, I had read 1 CC ( with the C's stamped on top of each other) 42150. See pics.

Thanks for your help.

Attachments

• DSCF1799.jpg
    DSCF1799.jpg
    51.3 KB · Views: 58
  • DSCF1800.jpg
    DSCF1800.jpg
    45.7 KB · Views: 62
I had the same problem with my 150 XR6. Turned out to be the starter, brushes were bad so it didn't have the umph to engage the gear all the way. Take it iff and have it checked, most auto parts stores can bench test. Put the juice to it and see if the gear goes up and stays up, if not replace or rebuild the starter.

I can't see any #'s on the starter bracket but have a look around on it there may be the # there if it is late 60's early '70's

Back