Logo

1971 80 hp Mercury outboard lower unit

fixitdaily

Regular Contributor
I purchased a newer lower unit for my 80 HP merc outboard and have a couple of questions.This lower unit fits and works (in the Driveway).I installed a new impellar gaskets etc. When running on Muffs at Idle the tell tale just dribbles,and when I throttle up I get a good stream,I use to get a good stream with the old lower unit at Idle should I be concered?As for the next question on this newer lower unit there is a black little hose that comes out by the shift linkage whats that for??
Thanks Guy's
Hey Jeff, if you happen to read this I lost your e-mail address

Re: 1971 Mercury outboard lower unit

The little hose is for a speed-o. It should have a good stream all the time. You replaced impellar gaskets, did you replace the impellar, and what did the base plate and housing look like?

Okay black hose for speedometer,and yes new impellar.I will test it at the lake on the trailer and see if it's any better.If not I will take the lower unit back off and check.Thanks

Took the lower unit off and found some gasket material in the water pump channels.Have no Idea how they got there but I assume that was the Problem.Fixed.Does anyone know approximately what year they started putting the speed-o hose on these lower units??

Back