Logo

2003 BF50A shift problems

timmyg

Hello everyone, I've been searching the web trying to find some info to help a friend with his pontoon and found you guys, so here I am LOL I hope someone here can help.

My neighbor has a 2003 Honda 50 hp that he had the water pump replaced in a few months ago. He put the boat back onto the water after the repair but hasn't tried to use it ( he had health issues). Being the holiday weekend he was wanting to try to use it and when he tries to put it into reverse all he gets is a loud clicking in the foot like it isn't engaging fully. He never had a reverse issue before now and I would guess that the boat has less than 100 hrs on it.
My thinking is that the repair shop either damaged the lower unit, bent the shift rod or may not have it connected correctly.

OH and BTW the reason he took it to the shop in the first place was that it quit peeing and they replaced the water pump got it home, still not peeing, took it back to the shop only to find a mud dobber clogged the hole.
So needless to say he has washed his hands of that shop.

Is there any kind of an adjustment that I can make to make it engage fully?
Has anyone else experienced this problem?

Yes, it is most likely an adjustment. You will probably have to pull the boat back out of the water to do it.

They probably did not connect the two part shift shaft back together correctly. Once you find the nuts, it will probably take you about two minutes. So bare with my rambling...

After you pull the boat have someone up in the boat to shift and someone one the ground by the engine to adjust.

NOTE: Whenever you have the person shift into forward or reverse, be sure to turn the prop in the opposite rotation by hand until the shift engages. Since it is not going to engage in reverse, don't worry when it still doesn't...as long as they have the shifter in reverse. Failure to turn the prop by hand, can break plastic linkages in the upper part of the motor if the person doing the shifting pushes or pulls very hard on the shifter when they get resistance. Turning the prop counterclockwise for shifting into forward and clockwise for shifting into reverse.

That being said....

Turn the motor to one side for best access.

You are looking for a stainless steel rod on the forward part of the lower unit just above the horizontal plate that is just above the prop. It runs vertically up the inside of the tube where the motor rotates side to side. There is a small opening forward side of the lower unit and lower motor. Hope this picture helps locating

50 hp shift linkage.jpg

This is really two rods connected together end to end with a long (about
1 1/4 inch nut and a standard size nut (locking nut just below it).

Have the person in the boat operate the shifter (remember to turn the prop by hand) until you see the rod moving up and down. Once you find it, have the your helper put the motor into reverse. This should give you access to the nuts.

You will need two wrenches to unlock them. Once unlocked, turn the top one clockwise to make it move up the rod. Keep the bottom nut where it is for now. Keep turning until the top nut comes off the bottom rod. They will still be touching though because the shift adjustment is wrong.

Once it is loose, take a needle nose pliers and position it just above the lower small nut slightly grabbing the vertical shaft. You do not have hold it too tight...be sure not to mess up the threads. Basically, you will use the needle nose to push down against the nut and push the lower rod down while turning the prop counterclock wise. It may take a little pressure but it will eventually click into gear. You are now in reverse.

Have the person inside the boat be sure the shifter is in reverse.

Now for the adjustment...

Position the lower nut (small nut) so that the top surface of the nut is appoximately 0.3 inches from the end of the bottom rod. Once you get it there, hold it there and screw the top (long nut) down to reconnect it with the bottom rod and screw it down to the lower nut.

Once there, lock the two together again.

Now test your shifting. When in neutral the prop will turn freely; when in reverse it will lock when you turn the prop clockwise; and when in forward the prop will lock when turning it counterclockwise.

If you have not used the boat, your lower unit is probably ok.

You should be good to go.

WOW Hondadude, that was an amazing reply!!!
I will look at it first thing in the AM and with any luck I will have him and his family going in no time.
I was hoping that it would be something as simple as an adjustment and it sounds easy enough.
I don't think there was any damage as I'm the only one that has tried to use it today when I went over and changed his battery for him and was going to take it around the lake one time.

I will look at it in the morning and let you know my results.

Thank you very much and have a wonderful Easter!!

Timmy

UPDATE !!!

Thanks again Hondadude !!!

I was able to make the adjustment with the boat still in the water :)

Everything is working as it should now and my neighbor and his family wanted me to thank you for them. Thanks to your help they were able to have a fun filled day on the water.

Thanks again,
Timmy

Your welcome...

Happy boating to your neighbor!

I just thought...it is nice when you have a boat....

It is better when you have a neighbor with a boat...who owes you a favor.

LOL That's true.

When we bought our house we were boatless for the first year and they took us out on theirs several times. And I know that there's not many things worse than living on a lake and having a broken boat... LOL .. especially after just spending close to $1000 only to get back a broken boat.
I am a recovering auto mechanic from years past and hate to see someone being taken advantage of and Bill, my neighbor is 82 years young and sadly repair shops tend to take advantage of seniors:mad:

Thanks again for your help,
Timmy

Back