Logo

Graham or Jeff 1998 150 hp xr6

tritonman2001

Regular Contributor
I have a 1998 150 XR6, replaced the impeller and the water pressure gauge. When on the hose the pressure was good, but when I went to the lake at idle the pressure wasn't reading, and at wot it only showed 10 psi. Any ideas on what could be causing this. Has a good stream from the tell tale. Thanks in advance for any help.

Re: Graham or Jeff

Hah! Everyone assumes that, when it "pumps water" on the hose, then all is well. Not so. Even without an impeller in there it will "pump water" on the hose.

Does it overheat? You can check it with an infrared temp gage. That 10 psi sounds about right to me.

Whacha think, Graham?

Jeff

10 psi sounds low to me at WOT and the fact that it isn't reading at idle tells me there's an issue with the gauge! I would look at the possibility that it has air trapped in the line for the gauge or the gauge itself....

If there's water coming from the telltale while in the lake then you know the impeller is pumping.

My opinion is you have a GAUGE issue

10 is a little low at WOT - I would expect 12 (minimum).

I would try Paul's suggestion (bleed out the line to the psi sensor), then at idle you should be seeing 1-3 psi.

If there is still an issue try testing your gauge, may simply be calibrated wrong or defective..

Hey guys, I found my problem by talking to the teck at the local shop. He said if it had ever been run dry the impeller likely scored the housing. Replaced housing, base plate and gaskets. Now I have good pressure at idle 5psi and 17-18psi at wot. Thanks to everyone for thier help.

Back