Logo

Mercury 3 - 2 wire tilt trim conversion 1997 90 hp

markw1

I've got a replacement tilt/trim unit for my 1987 Mercury 90 hp motor. It came with a harness to change from 3 wire to 2 wire, but the instructions are missing. Anyone know where on the net I can download the information and instructions? It looks fairly straightforward except there are some small differences in the wiring.

Re: Mercury 3 - 2 wire tilt trim conversion

The best option would be to either contact the trim manufacturer if it is an after market, or if it is oem, contact your local dealer. Either one should be able to tell you how the wires hook up. Good Luck

Thanks, I had done that but they didn't reply until last night. The new harness replaces the up and down solenoids with relays and does some re-wiring. I had figured out the new wiring, but I'm still experimenting with how and where to mount the new relays and removal of some of the old stuff. I was hoping someone had done this before and could give me some insight. It is a rebuilt OEM unit from a 3rd party supplier. They use the newer style 2 wire motors instead of the old 3 wire ones. Thanks again.

my quess would be that the 3 wire motor was
1 wire as negative
1 positve wire for tilt up
1 positive wire for tilt down

new 2 wire motor with relays use the relays to flip the + & -
to the trim motor for up and down
+ - trim up
- + trim down

hope this helps

I've got a replacement tilt/trim unit for my 1987 Mercury 90 hp motor. It came with a harness to change from 3 wire to 2 wire, but the instructions are missing. Anyone know where on the net I can download the information and instructions? It looks fairly straightforward except there are some small differences in the wiring.

I have the exact same problem but mine is a 1995 90hp. Were you successful with the conversion? If so what steps did you take or where did you get the information ?

Back